Delicious Ambiguity: One Week Until Siena

Mary Kelso

One week from now I will be taking my first steps through the streets of Siena, Italy! My emotions are a rollercoaster—one minute I’m so excited that I can’t sit still, the next minute I’m so nervous I want to cry, the next minute I’m wondering how I am going to fit everything in this week—packing, shopping, and saying goodbyes. Everywhere I go I am bombarded with questions. How long? Where are you living? Are you done packing (to this question I give an incredulous look—I’m just starting!!)?? Are you nervous? Are you excited? Are you CRAZY? It is exhausting.

So as I try to fit my life into one suitcase and one carry-on, I have to make decisions…one big journal or a couple small ones? How many sweaters? Does this pair of shoes go with enough outfits? In the middle of these questions that are so trivial (yet sometimes seem so big) I try to contemplate the more important questions: What are my long-term goals for this semester? How do I hope to grow? What do I want to get out of this experience and what will I do to accomplish that?

My life feels like one big question. One big question because I can’t even fathom what my life will be like one week from now. I don’t know the people who will share the next 4 months with me. I don’t know the language that will surround me. It reminds me of a quote by Gilda Radner: “Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what’s going to happen next. delicious ambiguity…”

A postcard I received from IES Siena!

Necessities: journals and clothes!

well-prepared

A friendly reminder as I nervously pack…
My friend got me this day-by-day calendar full of beautiful pictures of Italy!
My grandparents gave me this book about Italy…published in 1907!