The Last Two Weeks of the Semester

Marta Misiulaityte

I feel badly that I have neglected the blog for the past few weeks, but it has truly been one insane month filled with exams, internship, goodbyes as well as new “hellos.” Yes, one of the wonderful things about this semester is that you never quite stop meeting new people – and it seems that every one of them has a different perspective on Berlin, and there’s nothing I love more than sharing “my” Berlin with others.

The first two weeks of July were the last two weeks of the semester. In one of my earlier blog posts I described the academic system here, and how it requires more self-motivation and initiative on the part of the student. Well, this proved to be more applicable than ever during the exam period. For one of my classes at the Humboldt University, I had to take an exam (Klausur) that covered all the lecture material, and I mean – all of it. Thankfully one other IES student was taking the same class so we met before the exam to study together. And I can say, although I am not expecting the top grade, that I feel proud about my progress this semester. This class had definitely been a challenge, and I am happy to have had it.

Aside from that, my Arabic and German exams went well, too. And although I came up skidding to the finish line, I did turn in my essay for my Migration and Racism seminar on time.

On the last day of the semester, I attended a panel discussion on the recent developments in Turkey. Germany is home to a lot of people of Turkish descent, so it was fascinating to hear German people’s opinions about the topic. And I must say that they do differ from those often reported in American media.

I am so relieved that the semester is over but that I still have a few weeks left in this wonderful city. More about July in the next blog post!