From a Metropolis to a Sand Oasis in Three Hours

Marta Misiulaityte

Last weekend, my roommate and I decided to make the best out of the gorgeous weather and head down (up?) to the Baltic Sea.

Having woken up at 5am, we had our car all packed up and ready to go by 6. It was lovely to drive past the many sleepy corners of Berlin on a Saturday morning. I also realized that it was my first time experiencing Berlin in a car – what a strange sensation! It is funny how quickly one gets used to public transportation and cycling.

Largely due to my “superb” navigation skills, we arrived somewhat according to schedule, and set up our little camp on the beach for the day. Not a single cloud in the sky, a gentle breeze, yellow sand. Perfection.

My roommate had always wanted to try out sleeping in her car, so we laid a big mattress over the lowered back seats and set up our little nest. We parked next to a lighthouse and I could see its big round light blinking until I fell asleep.

The following day we napped and sunbathed at the beach before packing up and heading back to Berlin. A wonderful summer afternoon flying down the German autobahn and blasting German punk rock…

Below are some photos from the trip.