Pizza, Pasta, and... Unlimited Sushi?

Lexi Floom

Hello from Italy! Or ciao as the Italians say. This weekend my friends and I set out on a new adventure to travel to Milan and Como, two of the popular tourist destinations in Northern Italy. 

Our trip started out in the bustling city of Milan where we did nothing less than shop until we couldn't shop anymore. Milan is one of the largest fashion capitals in the world and buying something there should be a bucket list item for any traveler. While they have all the designer stores you can think of, I made it my mission to scout out the most trendy discount stores and came away with a new pair of white sneakers, a two-pack of sheer black tights, and an assorted pack of hair clips all for $20. 

On day two of our trip, we headed to Como for a more serene atmosphere. We took the train from Milan which was only 45 minutes and spent the day at the lake eating pasta and gelato with a stunning view. We took the cable car up to the top of the mountain in the late afternoon where we saw huge vacation houses and watched the sunset made of the most gorgeous rainbow colors I have ever seen. 

On the last day of the trip, we took a 2-hour pasta making class in Milan with a local woman named Bruna in her classic Italian home. It was one of the most amazing cultural experiences I have ever had and would recommend it to anyone planning on traveling to Milan. Finally, we wrapped up our day with a trip to the Duomo to take some pictures and watch about 1000 pigeons fly around until we had one last pizza for dinner and headed home. 

Overall, the trip to Italy was incredible and I got to do everything I had always wanted to. More importantly, I got to eat everything I have always wanted to eat, because it's no secret that Italian food is some of the best in the world. I had fresh pasta every day for lunch, all kinds of different pizzas, and indulged in one of the lesser-known but highly appreciated traditions in Milan: the unlimited sushi restaurants. For only 20 euros, you can sit down at a table all night long and order as much sushi as you please until your stomach is too full to take another bite. It, just like the rest of Italy, was incredible, to say the least.

Lexi Floom

<p>Lexi Floom is a student at Indiana University majoring in Informatics with minors in Technology Consulting, Marketing, and Game Design. Last summer, Lexi interned abroad in Israel and strengthened her love for all things creative and adventurous. She can't wait to travel across London and Europe this semester and discover the hidden gems each country has to offer.</p>

Vernon Hills, IL