A weekend in Patagonia

Lena Novins-Montague

This past weekend, my friends and I set off to spend our weekend in Patagonia. We chose San Carlos de Bariloche as our destination, which is a city that sits at the foothills of the Andes and on the shores of the Nahuel Huapai Lake. Bariloche is famous for its incredible panoramic views of the lake and mountains, and is often used as a hopping-off point for travelers who are making their way through the region of Patagonia. 

Bariloche is also known for its Alpine-styled architecure, which was heavily influenced by German and Swiss immigrants who moved to the area. The gastronomic scene in Bariloche has also been affected by European immigrants. Bariloche is the chocolate capital of Argentina, and its downtown is lined with chocolate shop after chcolate shop.

We spent an idyllic weekend hiking, sampling chocolate, going to cervecerias, and enjoying the beautiful fall colors. It was so refreshing to get away from the hustle and bustle of Buenos Aires. The town also reminded me a lot of home—Colorado—with its outdoorsy locals, stunning mountains, and crisp air. Check out the highlights of our trip below.