My First Week in London!

Kimberly Taylor

I can’t believe how much I have done during my first week in London. I also feel like I’ve known some of my fellow students for much longer! IES has far exceeded my expectations in how they welcomed us to London and its culture, readied us to begin classes, and provided us with so many opportunities to sightsee and experience the country. They’ve given us tours of the areas around our residence hall and the IES school, which really helped me learn what is in the area and get a sense of what I can do with free time. On Friday, we went on a sightseeing tour around the city and learned about the history of London and what is going on in the city today. Saturday is guaranteed to be one of the most memorable days of my life; not only did I witness a fantastic parade in honor of the Trooping of the Colour, see the entire royal family, and get a wave from Prince Harry, but I also watched one of my favorite Shakespearean plays at the Globe Theatre as a groundling while it was pouring. On Sunday, we traveled  to Windsor to see Eton College and Windsor Castle, and it gave me a much better sense of another side to the UK!

These experiences have been amazing, but I can’t forget to mention the classes I’m taking! I’m in an Architecture of London class featuring architecture since the 1600s, and we’ve been able to get out into the city to see the architecture firsthand. I’m also taking British Youth Culture, which is the most popular course this summer. My professor is clearly very knowledgeable on the topic and is someone we’ve all made fast friends with. We discussed what defines youth culture and, my favorite part, the impact the Beatles made when they performed “All You Need Is Love” on television for the first time.

I can’t say that I wasn’t the slightest bit nervous before making the journey over to London, but I already feel at home in the city. All of the locals have been very friendly and helpful, I’ve got a very good sense of how to get around on the Tube, and I’ve done a great deal of exploring. Every day is a new adventure that I am eager to experience, and I can’t wait to see what the rest of my time here will bring!

Kimberly Taylor

<p><span style="color: rgb(29, 29, 29); font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; background-color: rgb(237, 237, 237);">Kimberly Taylor is a junior at Trinity University in San Antonio and is majoring in Psychology and minoring in Art and Art History. In the future, she would like to be a clinical psychologist focusing in the eating disorders field. She comes from Dallas, Texas and is beyond excited to begin her studies and live in London over the summer. On campus, Kimberly can be found working with Alpha Phi Omega, a co-ed community service fraternity, campaigning for human rights with Amnesty International, and promoting political activism with the Trinity Progressives. Otherwise, she enjoys jamming to music, baking, or goofing off with friends. She has been to Costa Rica and Belize for mission trips and has visited Europe before with her family. She is very much looking forward to absorbing the culture of London this summer!</span></p>

Trinity University