A Weekend in Paris

Kevin V Au

We didn't let the gloomy weather in Paris put a damper on our little trip. The two days we spent in Paris were packed but I enjoyed every moment. We definitely experienced more of a culture shock while visiting Paris due to the different language and customs. The architecture throughout the city is beautiful so I would definitely recommend taking some time to just walk around different areas and explore, even if you're there for a short amount of time. The metro system works pretty well too. Depending on where you're staying you can get to pretty much any tourist destination with one transfer. For me, the two days we spent in Paris was the perfect amount of time. We saw everything we wanted to see and sampled all the food we wanted to. 

Here's a sample of my little adventure in Paris. 

Student traveling tip: If you can prove you're a student and have a copy of your passport with you, you can get into a lot of places for free. We got free entry into the Louvre and to go to the top of the Arc de Triumphe by being a student. 

I just have to comment on the pastries and baked desserts in Paris. I don't know what they do them but it's amazing and will change your life. I don't think I could look at another almond croissant the same way again. 

Warning: Entrees in Paris actually mean starters/appetizers. We found out the hard way when we settled in what turned out to be a wine bar with main courses that were out of our budget. We ended up just getting a couple of starters and splitting it between us so that we each got to sample some pieces of real French cuisine. We had escargot, cured fish, and these thin slices of a salami-like meat. All delicious and totally worth it. I also had a duck breast and foie gras salad that was delicious. I've never had authentic French cuisine before so I really enjoyed getting a taste of the real deal. 

Okay, last food part of this post. If you like hot chocolate, Angelina's is the place to go for some delicious and rich hot chocolate. Head's up, if you get overloaded by sugar easily, you may want to consider splitting one with a friend. It's very tasty but can be very overwhelming after a few sips. 

To be honest, I think I spent more time looking at the ceilings in the Louvre than the actual exhibits on display. The detail, intricacies, and beauty of it all is simply amazing. 

Climbing 284 steps to the top of the Arc de Triumphe is totally worth it. Even with the clouds and light rain, the view of the city from the top was beautiful.