Final Moments of Summer in the States

Julianna Ashe

The small amount of summertime I was able to spend in the states before departing for Cape Town was short, but very sweet for certain. In between the end of my Junior year and my departure for Cape Town, I have been traveling all over the East Coast, paying special visits to the people and places that I love most, before I leave them all behind for five months to start a very exciting new journey in South Africa.

I was able to go down to Martha’s Vineyard twice before my departure, once with some very close friends from school, and another time to visit my family and see my lovely dog! I also spent a very beautiful weekend in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont on Lake Willoughby, one of the most breathtaking places I have ever been to. With all of my very best friends beside me on Lake Willloughby, and beautiful weather, I could’t have asked for a better place to spend some of my final moments in the states.

When I finally returned to Burlington to soak in the final moments of my short summer at home, I gathered with many friends who helped me celebrate my 21st birthday. The celebrations were too much fun, and I felt an unbelievable amount of love from my all of my pals in Burlington. I cannot wait to be reunited with all of those lovely people in November and share my experience in Cape Town with them!