Bittersweet Thoughts Before London

Jade Naulty

While sitting in the taxi on my way to the airport, I gaze out the window thinking of everything that has brought me to this point. All of the life lessons, stressful moments, and dedication to my education were all worth it. I would do it all over again if I knew I would be able to attend the eighth-ranked university in the world in the heart of London. I am still in disbelief that I could make my dreams become reality. It seemed like yesterday I was eleven years old waking up in the early hours of the morning to watch the royal wedding of Kate and William, and now at nineteen years old I am going to be able to see the Westminster Abbey in person. 

Even though I am ecstatic to wander the streets of London, I think it is important to remember where I came from and travel with an optimistic mind. I was born in a small town on the coast of northern California where everyone knew everyone, and I always chased after something more. This chase led me to my current home in Portland, Oregon, where I submerged myself into my studies at the University of Portland. I know that my past and present have transformed me into the woman I am today, and it has prepared me to face any challenges I come across in London. An example might be being dropped off in the wrong location in an unknown country with nothing but my oversized suitcase and my mind thinking it can only get better from here, but that is for the next blog post. 

Until next time, 

Jade