All Aboard

Hadleigh Maier

The time has finally arrived. In just a few short days, I will be boarding a plane headed for Paris. I keep asking the people around me to pinch me to make sure I'm not dreaming. I depart on Tuesday evening, and I still have so much packing to do. Leave it to me, queen of procrastination, to wait until the last minute to be ready. I know what I need to bring, but it's not technically in my travel bag yet. But that's just a minor detail.

The past couple weeks have been stressful to say the least. I have been nervous and antsy since going to the consulate for my visa. There was a more-than-likely chance my visa would not arrive in time for me to make my flight. Much to my delight and relief, two nights ago I discovered it would be in my hands the day before I leave. After some happy tears, a cup of warm hot chocolate, and a sound sleep, I woke up with one thought racing through my mind: I am going to Paris. I AM GOING TO PARIS. Again, I spiraled into disbelief, excitement, anxiety, and happiness. Now I suppose it's time to pack. It will be quite a change in atmosphere when I arrive in Paris. I live in a very small town in upstate New York, one that is currently coated with snow and covered with icey sidewalks. I have visited the Big Apple numerous times, and have always enjoyed every minute, but I have never spent more than a couple days in such a big city. I am certainly in for an experience of a lifetime. I'm going to miss my college, my family, and my cats. It will be weird not to return to all of my friends in Easton, Pennsylvania. While saying goodbye, even just for a semester is difficult, I know I am headed for what I hope will be the most amazing experience of my life. I am grateful to be able to have such an expeience and to be able to come back and share it with my friends and family. And my cats of course. 

Ever since I can remember, I have dreamt about going to France. I saw a picture of the Eiffel Tower in my seventh grade french class, and I fell in love. From that day on, I have imagined myself there, hoped and strived for it to become real one day. Well, that day has finally come. And I'm ready to embrace it with open arms, an open mind, and an open heart.