Paris Me Manque

Gwen Lee

Salut de New York,

I have returned “home” home and it’s not the same here. As Buzzfeed said, “Studying Abroad in Paris Destroys You For Life.” Here are my own reasons why:

1.The métro was the fastest, easiest, and quietest way to get around.

2. The pain au chocolates/croissants/baguettes from Paris can’t be replicated.

3. No one rushes you or bothers you in cafés.

4. Crèpes

5. Fancy drinks were super affordable

6. La Tour Eiffel was once considered an eyesore?

\

7. Famous historical figures lived all over Paris. I just casually dined where Picasso and Hemingway used to hang out, no big deal.

8. Museums are incroyable.

"Le Baiser" by Rodin

"Nuit étoilée sur le Rhône" by Vincent Van Gogh

Taxidermy of Napoleon's last horse, Vizir

9. Everything (and everyone) is so pretty.

Musée Jacquemart-André

10. It smells like magic, especially in the rain.

Paris is magical. Even Disneyland, “the most magical place on earth”, is only a metro ride away when you live there.

There are a million and one things that I miss about Paris. Fortunately, I can go back. But for now, I will live vicariously through memories. Much as Hemingway said, “If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a youngman, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast.”

Paris, je t’aime,

Gwen