Merhaba!

ESTEFANY MARIA

A month has passed and I can’t describe how its been in words! This has definitely been a life changing trip and I am sure it will continue to be. I am currently at my home university, Sabanci Universitesi and I love it. The people are amazing and very welcoming. I am currently taking five courses: Anthropology of the Body, Basic Turkish, Turkish Culture, Renaissance Art and Human Rights in Global Affairs. The classes are really amazing and very interesting.

There are many things that I like about Istanbul but I will name the top 5 so far.

1) The Ayasofya in the Sultanahmet area

The Ayasofya is one of the only places in Turkey where you can see elements of the Christian and Muslim religion. It’s currently a museum however it has been both a church and a mosque. It is a breathtaking museum, when I entered I just stared at everything. It’s a must for any tourist who is planning to go to Istanbul.

2) Bar Street in Kadikoy

If you wanna go to have a drink with your friends, this is the place to do it! It’s a vibrant place and full of life!

3) Karakoy Gulloulu

BEST BAKLAVA IN ISTANBUL!

4)The  boat ride between The European side and Asian side of Istanbul

It takes about 20 minutes to cross to each side. However the time goes fast when you are observing the beautiful scenery. I enjoy sitting on the boat with a nice book while I see the sea. It’s very relaxing. It’s also a great place to take pictures!

5) Sishane

Sishane is a narrow street towards the end of the hectic Taksim Sq. When you walk on the street you automatically get a hipster vibe from the people and all the stores. You can see many artisans selling authentic leather purses and little trinkets. I love walking around there to see the Turkish souvenirs and the cute little shops that are there.

I have many favorites, but these are the ones that made the list! So far Turkey has surpassed my expectations. Hopefully I will have more awesome experiences in next coming months!