Home Sweet Home.

ESTEFANY MARIA

I am currently home in NYC and honestly I feel weird. I feel out of my element, there are so many things I miss from Istanbul. The first thing that was weird was not hearing the prayer call anymore. After hearing the prayer call 5 times a day, for 5 months I definitely got used to it. I also miss the food. Where is the kebab, durum, simit, the elma chai?!

Yea, this is definitely cultural shock. I even miss seeing all the stray cats and dogs, why aren’t there any animals at my doorstep?

Back to reality I go. As I walk in my neighborhood I feel weird, and wonder what’s going on back home, my other home.

Another super overwhelming things is FAMILY. They are buzzing over me like I am queen bee and they are the worker bees. It’s a little asphyxiating but I understand.

I guess this is what readjustment is all about. I think it will take me some time to get used to this all over again, but that makes sense.