Signs of Solidarity

Emma Pulido

I’ve said it before and I’ve said it again – this is an amazing time to be in Latin America. Since Kiah is home from Rio I thought I’d use this post to give some attention to the protests rocking Brasil – from Brasilia to Rio to Sao Paulo, people are taking to the streets. Spurred by the threat of a fare increase for public transportation, these protests are strongly anti World Cup. This is especially important given the fact that the Confederations Cup is happening in Rio right now! Protesters are lamenting the fact that Brasil needs more doctors, hospitals, teachers, schools and general infrastructure – but that the government is spending taxpayer money building soccer stadiums. Meanwhile, the majority of money from global sporting events such as the World Cup and the Olympic games will leak out of Brasil and not benefit the people.
This week, the significantly large Brasilian population in Buenos Aires held a rally in solidarity with Brasil. They met at the Obelisk and marched up Nueve de Julio to the Brasilian Embassy.
Read/Watch more and and

“More schools, More hospitals, less stadiums”

“Brasil, show your face”

“The people should not fear the government, the government should fear the people”

Preparing the big protest sign

“fight police repression” “support the protests”

One of many Brazilian flags

“Resist, Brasil! We are together in this fight.”

“We want schools, hospitals, roads _____ FIFA! #thegiantwokeup”

“Sorry for the inconvenience, we are changing Brasil” “We haven’t forgotten you Brasil”