Recoleta Cemetery

Emma Pulido

The Recoleta Cemetery is one of the biggest tourist attractions in Buenos Aires. Being vehemently opposed to typical tourist attractions (I always stick to the rule: don’t take a picture you can google)I wasn’t expecting to be so impressed by the cemetery. None of the photos I had seen of the place had done it justice – in person it is truly breathtaking. Situated right next to the Recoleta mall, between a beautiful old church and the Recoleta Cultural Center, the cemetery is a gorgeous labyrinth of statues and vaults. According to the ever useful wikipedia, the cemetery was listed by CNN as one of the most beautiful cemeteries in the world. I believe it – as soon as you enter, it feels like another, very peaceful, world. The vaults are ornate, many with elaborate statues or beautiful alters inside. This cemetery is the resting place to some of the most famous and influential Argentines – such as Eva Perón, many other past presidents, and important military personnel.

An angel atop a tomb

A nice sunny day

Some birds taking advantage of an angel wing

Another angel.

There are so many incredible statues in the cementario

One of the many cats that lives among the tombs

The alters inside one of the masoleums.