“Se Acaba”

Emma Pulido

Last week there was a huge rally in Buenos Aires against the current government of Cristina Kirchner. Thousands of porteños came out to show their dissatisfaction with judicial reforms and against the “re-re” – meaning the re-re election of Kirchner. Many Argentines fear that Cristina will rewrite the constitution in order to “legally” run for another term. Many signs addressed this issue of constitutional edits, reading “no se toca”. I was impressed by the hugely diverse crowd at this event – students, senior citizens, families, babies, girls in school uniforms, dancers, musicians, people chanting, people selling flags – the whole city came out, chanting “se acaba” (it’s enough) and “ladrones” (thieves). Clearly, many people agreed with the aims of protest, but of course there are some who did not agree with it’s message – or with the manner of delivering the message. Regardless, it is incredible to me to see so many people participating in their democracy – this age of argentine democracy is young and people do not take it for granted. Read for a little more information about the event.

Starting off with la banda argentina

A tiny boy with his picket sign

protesting dictatorship

People in the construction site in front of the Obelisco

Girls in the construction site

People here are fiercely opposed to “re-re” election of Cristina.

People walking away from the Plaza de Mayo and the Casa Rosada

“Tenemos un papa argentino, quieremos un gobierno argentino” translates to “we have an argentine pope, we want an argentine government”

The mood wasn’t all serious – this drum circle got everyone dancing.

Loved this guy’s sign and stoic expression. There were other signs in this series as well.