First Week- A City of Cities

Emma Pulido

So, I have been here for almost a week in Buenos Aires, this huge sprawling city of cities. Each neighborhood here has a distinct feel, character and population, connected by a complex web of bus lines and underground “subte” trains. I’m excited to know everything I can about this place, but for now I am exploring my neighborhood of San Telmo and all it’s cobblestoned streets, beautiful street murals and iron fenced balconies. Most of my photos this week have come from my walks in and around San Telmo – but there is some grafitti from the center commemorating the passing of Chavéz – what an interesting time to be living in Latin America!

Balconies, color, and an abundance of leaves – looks like Buenos Aires.

Legacy of the Guerra Sucia.

The buildings here are beautiful – here is one I saw on a walk home with the Argentine flag front and center.

This graffiti, commenting on the death of Chavez was found in the Center of the city. It references Nestor Kirchner, former president (and former spouse to the current president Christina Kirchner) who was a Peronist leader. This grafitti seems to link the three leaders as leaders of the people, although I’m not sure all Argentines would agree.

The day after Chavez passed, there were tons of varied newspaper headlines commenting on the news. Here in Argentina, media companies can try to monopolize several forms of media. Clarín is known to be anti-government and also owns many television channels.

Supermarkets are my favorite thing in a foreign country – I’m going to do a post on one at some point this semester!

Puerto Madero, a barrio near San Telmo has lots of big, industrial buildings on the waterfront.

The Casa Rosada as seen from la Plaza de Mayo.

These 2 porteños were watching a drum circle at the Afro Cultural Center.

San Telmo is full of beautiful alleyways and courtyards. Here is a sparse one that has beautiful murals at the front, just out of view.

Kira, at our first breakfast in our new barrio