Ciao Milano!

Courtney Smith

Ciao Milano!

I am here, I am alive, and I am ready to explore.  Meeting my host family was one of the most nerve wracking experiences of my life, but they are the nicest people and treat me as I am their fifth child.  I have my own room and communication with my family has improved from both ends.  They are learning to speak more english while I have started my Italian class and am slowly (very slowly) starting to transition.  I have transitioned well, I think at least, as I am making new friends, going out and exploring the city of Milan, and trying to remember I am here for four months and do not have to see everything in a day.

Living in a home stay I believe is one of the best decisions I have made for my trip thus far.  Being welcomed into a family who speaks Italian all the time (I think this will help with me learning a new language) having the traditional meals, and getting used to and adjusted to how life works in a different country.  I am completely throwing myself into a new situation and learning a whole new culture. I have been fortunate enough to have gone on a mini trip to my families lake house on Lake Maggiore and gotten to spend more time just relaxing and getting to know them better.  I also love the fact I get to live with other children (ages 5-18) who I can learn from and I can help teach.  They have helped me with pronouncing words, homework, and have even put sticky-notes on items around the house with the Italian word on them to help me learn.  Can they get an cuter?

I am getting excited for my internship to take place.  We have already had our mock interviews with IES and now I am patiently waiting to get the email saying I hopefully (fingers crossed) have a real interview with a company here.  I am excited to start working for a company in my field of study (graphic design) and learn how working in a different country is different from my own.

I am getting more excited to start all my classes and start this journey in Milano as an American student transitioning into the Italian lifestyle.

Ciao! Ciao!