Escaping the Cold in the Metro

Courtney Malecki
The Thinker at the Musée Rodin

I’ve gotten to the point where when I’m traveling and get off the plane, I am thankful to be back in Paris again, because it has truly become my home. Seeing the Eiffel Tower as I land is a comforting sight. I have developed a daily routine and still find new things to explore in Paris every day.

My day starts with my daily commute on the metro. I leave about 45 minutes before class starts, but it typically only takes about 30 minutes to get to school. I have learned that the metro can be unpredictable at times and sometimes it will just stop moving, so it is best to leave some extra time just in case. Although there are a lot of people crammed into the metro cars, it is interestingly very quiet; there is no small talk, and it is warm retreat from the cold streets.

I make my way to class and get to see the leaves changing in the courtyard. It is a constant reminder of how fast time flies by here. After class, my friends and I grab food. Our favorite bakery, No Pain No Gain, has the best quiche lorraine, but for something different, Love Juice bar makes some pretty delicious açaí bowls. 

My art history class has many field trips. We have seen the Louvre, Musée Cognac Jay, l'École des Beaux-Arts, Musée Mormottan-Monet, Musée Rodin, Musée d'Orsay, Musée de l'Orangerie, and the Centre Pompidou. I will admit that it is a lot of work, but my professor is very knowledgeable and tells us a lot of information that you probably wouldn't get on your average tour. I'm glad that I took this class because I don't see myself visiting all these places on my own, yet they make up a unique aspect of Paris.

After all my classes and field trips, my favorite thing to do is simply walk around the city. I can't get enough of the beautiful buildings and Paris skyline. It is the best way to get to know that city and find your own secret treasures in Paris.

Courtney Malecki

<p>I love everything water! I was a swimmer and water polo player in high school, and now I am on the rowing team at my school. When I'm not at practice I can frequently be found at the beach, pool, or on a hike.</p>

Santa Clara University
Clarendon Hills, IL