But First, Let Me Take a Selfie

Courtney Malecki

I have accumulated so many photos that my phone is constantly telling me that my storage is full. I take lots of scenery pictures, but they don’t usually do the view justice. I also have some awkwardly posed photos, however, the best stories and memories have come from my Snapchats. They tend to be more spur-of-the-moment pictures that highlight my favorite parts. 

To start, I was happy as clam when I got gelato after the first week of class. I didn’t know what the next few months would have in store, but it was the start of a journey.

Of course, when you get to Paris you have to do the obligatory trip to the Eiffel Tower.  Personally, I think the best view is from Trocadéro. Shortly after this photo was taken, a couple asked if we would take their picture. They got the perfect tourist picture. Then the man got down on one knee and proposed! It came out of nowhere and we were shocked to be a part of the happy moment.

After you go to Trocadéro, you have to have a picnic on Champs Mars. I bought a baguette, cheese, and pastries and set up a picnic. If you’re lucky and go around sunset, you can even see the Eiffel Tower sparkle.

Throughout my adventures walking around the city, I have come across many interesting photo opportunities. My personal favorite is the statue at Les Invalides who is ready to take a phone call. At my absolute favorite crêperie I found a Stanford University poster. It’s amazing that I can travel halfway across the world to find a part of home.

I am amazed everyday that Paris has become my classroom. I took an art history class that frequented the Louvre. How cool is that? I think it’s pretty cool, and I’m very grateful for that opportunity. We had thousands of paintings and sculptures to learn from just a metro ride away. After learning about the Académie of Beaux Arts, our professor took us to the actual building. I was reading about it on paper, and then I was standing there. It really adds another dimension to the classroom. We did another lesson about Haussmann redesigning Paris and then we got to see a model of it at the Musée d’Orsay. I was standing on Haussmann’s Paris! Anyways, I thought it was Snap worthy.

Since France won the World Cup, I had to go to a game. We went to the game against Germany and started catching on to some of the cheers. Allez les bleus!

Have you ever seen a medieval spectacle? Our program took a trip to Provins and we got to see all sorts of things from jousting to performing with horses.

At the end of a long day, the best treat is a macaron from Pierre Hermé (insider tip: I personally think they’re better than Ladurée). After I’m full from macarons, I get to go home to my host dog. She loves hanging out in my room, and she is the best homework buddy.

Enjoy the goofy and raw moments from the highlight reel of my Snapchat!

Courtney Malecki

<p>I love everything water! I was a swimmer and water polo player in high school, and now I am on the rowing team at my school. When I'm not at practice I can frequently be found at the beach, pool, or on a hike.</p>

Santa Clara University
Clarendon Hills, IL