My Parents in Ecuador

Claire Fishman

Last week, my parents came to visit! It was great to be able to show them where I’ve been living for the past couple of months and to act as a tour guide and a translator. In addition to showing them around the historical center and the area where IES is located, we also went to Mindo, a cloud forest town located about 2 and a half hours outside of Quito by bus. Mindo was one of the first independent trips the other girls and I took here in Ecuador, so it was cool to be able to go back and know a bit about the area. It was also nice because we did some activities that I hadn’t done the last time, such as visiting a butterfly farm, and visiting an area with many hummingbirds. I also got to go on the chocolate tour for a second time, which was a huge plus. The brownies they give you samples of are divine.

Back in the city, we also did some activities that I hadn’t tried yet–the teleférico (basically a gondola ride up to the top of a mountain where you’re treated to amazing views) and a restaurant that my host mom recommend, La Vista Hermosa. I know, a restaurant doesn’t sound like much of an activity, but this one gives you an absolutely breathtaking view of the city, including views of the Basílica and the Panecillo. We went for dinner and sat outside, so we were surrounded by the gorgeous lights of the city illuminating the night sky. The food was pretty good too, including some amazing shrimp (and I’m not a seafood person).

In addition to activities, my parents also got to meet my host family, which was really cool. My host family’s grandson, Joaquín, gave us a lecture on dinosaurs and other animals, and kept bringing out all his animal books to show my parents. My host mom put together a beautiful spread of empanadas and other snacks. It was a lovely experience, and I’m glad my parents got an opportunity to meet my Ecuadorian parents!

Overall, the trip seemed to be a success, and I enjoyed playing tour guide for a little while:)