A Taste of Argentina: Asado at a local friend’s house

christina zogopoulou headshot
Christina Zogopoulou

There's something magical about sharing a meal that transcends cultural boundaries and creates bonds among people. Such was the case when our Argentinian friends invited us to their house for the Argentinian tradition known as "asado." This culinary adventure not only allowed me to try the best meat ever in Argentina, but also made me realize the importance of asado in forming a sense of community and strong friendships.

Asado is more than just a barbecue; it's a cherished tradition in Argentina that brings friends and family together. The word "asado" refers to both the cooking technique and the social event that revolves around it. In essence, it's a celebration of good food, good company, and good times.

Our journey into the world of asado began with an impressive array of charcuterie. Our Argentinian hosts welcomed us with a spread that included many different types of cheese, bread, baba ganoush, hummus, etc. We only knew the host and not his friends, so this was definitely an amazing experience to get to know each other and start joking around with everyone. 

Argentinian asado is renowned for its exquisite meat preparation. Our hosts were so good at cooking the meat, as they have probably done this many times before. We had many different types of meat and each of them were so delicious. I definitely understood why Argentinian beef is so famous around the world. I think I can confidently say I had the best meat of my stay in Argentina at my friend’s house, and probably one of the best meats in my life. 

For those who don’t know me, I am from Greece and I study in the U.S. Many of my really good friends are from Greece, and we have been friends for many, many years. The friend who invited us to his asado also invited his really good friends who he has known since childhood. I did not realize how much I missed that. It was so nice and heartwarming to sit with all these people that know each other so well and have so much love to give to each other. I was able to experience that feeling of home even though I had never met these people before. They made us feel like part of the family from the moment we arrived. Argentinians in general are very welcoming and friendly so the atmosphere and energy were my favorite part of the asado (Even though the food was DELICIOUS!).

Asado isn't just about the food; it's about the people and the sense of community it fosters. While at my friend’s house we shared stories, laughter, and, of course, more food. It was during these moments that we truly grasped the significance of asado in creating good friendships.

If you ever have the opportunity to partake in an Argentinian asado, I encourage you to seize it. It's a celebration of life, friendship, and some of the best meat you'll ever taste. After our asado experience, we left with full hearts, full stomachs, and a deeper understanding of the power of food in uniting people from different corners of the world.