The hot spots of Buenos Aires

christina zogopoulou headshot
Christina Zogopoulou

I have been living in Buenos Aires now for around 3 months and I am IN LOOOVE with this city. Here is a list of some of my favorite places to go to and things the city has to offer.

Markets:

San Telmo Market

The San Telmo Market is a bustling and colorful affair that takes place every Sunday from morning until late afternoon. The market is easily accessible by public transportation, and it's a good idea to bring cash, as not all vendors accept credit cards. 

When you arrive there, stroll along the streets, and you'll encounter many vendors selling vintage treasures, from antique furniture to old books; everything there has a story to tell. The market has many handmade jewelry, leather goods, textiles, and more. It's also a great place to pick up unique and one-of-a-kind souvenirs to bring back to your friends and family from Buenos Aires. The San Telmo Market is not just about shopping; it's an all-encompassing experience. Enjoy the live music performances, street comedy, or tango performances. Lastly, the most important reason (in my opinion) to go to the market is for its food market. The market has many different options, such as Greek food and Italian food, but also amazing Argentinians specialties (one of the most famous choripans in Buenos Aires.)

Recoleta Market: 

This market is my personal favorite. I absolutely LOVE jewelry and handmade crafts, crochet etc. If you are like me, this place will be heaven on earth for you. It has really affordable jewelry, especially rings, beautiful rocks (including the argentinian rock that can only be found in Buenos Aires and South Africa). Furthermore, this market has beautiful parks around where you can sit with your friends after you shop. 

Parks: 

Something I love about Argentina is how many public spaces there are, especially parks. There are always people of all ages sitting in the grass with their mate, laughing with their friends, running, or playing with their dogs. My personal favorites are:

The first four are relatively near each other in the palermo neighborhood:

Bosques de Palermo 

Parque Tres de Febrero: (often considered as an extension of bosques de palermo

Japanese garden

Botanical garden

Near the apartments:

Plaza san martin

Near the recoleta market/recoleta area:

Parque las Heras: My personal favorite! There are always so many young people there, and the vibes are amazing.

Parque in front of Biblioteca nacional

If the weather is good then you should definitely spend your days out in the parks!

Shopping

Feria Americana:

Look for Ferias Americanas around the city. There are many in different areas with really fair prices. Ferias Americanas are thrift shops so the clothes will probably be second hand, but the quality and beauty are amazing! In addition, there are many charities (ferias solidarias) organized by churches, so if you are someone who is in need of more affordable clothing you should go there. 

Avenida Avellaneda:

The clothes in Avenida Avellaneda are not secondhand and the quality is not as good. However, this is known as the shopping street of Buenos Aires. There are so many shops in the area selling different types of clothes but especially if you want to shop for the boliche (club here) that is probably the way to go. 

Food:

If you live near the apartments in Esmeralda, these are the food recommendations for good food in the neighborhood 

Fa Song Song: Korean

Cafe Seul: Korean

Meraki: Venezuelan food 

Heladería esmeralda: ice cream 

Saigon Bowl: Vietnamese

Finally, the most important thing you should know is that there is a maaagic link from the official site of tourism in Buenos Aires with all the activities that the city has to offer every week. From film to food festivals this city never sleeps!

Here is the link:

https://turismo.buenosaires.gob.ar/es/article/visit-buenos-aires 

Enjoy your time in one of the best cities of the worldddd!

christina zogopoulou headshot

Christina Zogopoulou

I am a travel enthusiast; originally from Greece but have lived in three different continents, including Asia, Europe, and North America. I am excited to live in Buenos Aires and love the constant movement of the city and its vibrant culture.

Claremont McKenna College
International Relations