Dear Dublin, I can't wait to meet you...

Christena Carollo

I woke up today feeling a surge of something fantastic coursing through my veins, and I was so perplexed by the feeling that I thought I fell ill. But then I realized, after checking my temperature and being satisfied with a healthy 98 degrees, that my excitement stemmed from an epiphany—it finally hit me. I will be living in Dublin, Ireland, in just a little over a week. This moment kicked me into gear and started a packing frenzy.

Gel, socks, mascara, two comfortable pairs of shoes, an array of jackets, books to read while in flight, energy converters, yoyo (completely unnecessary and promptly removed from luggage), my cat (she climbed in there on her own) and a long list of other essentials (and non-essentials that I simply can’t travel without, such as my new travel journal) are taking up my time while I prepare for the journey to Dublin.

The two books and the journal I have chosen to be my travel buddies when I venture to Dublin, Ireland.

Along with packing drama (and I mean this is the best and most exciting sense of the word), there is an abundance of things to prepare before my departure. Today, I called my bank to give them my travel plans so they won’t deny me access to my bank account after a random purchase in Ireland alerts them of possible identity theft (very important). And after that, I printed out all of my important documents that I’ll need to have handy while traveling, including copies of my passport. Oh, and it’s best not to forget to convert some cash into Euros.

As my head reels with everything that still needs to be done before I depart, I feel an odd sense of calm and excitement. I imagine myself, eyes closed, breathing in the fresh air that comes in with the sea breeze on the Cliffs of Moher. This one daydream has me floating through each day, ready to realize this peaceful fantasy in roughly a week and a half.

And if that is not alluring enough, I imagine myself standing in the center of one of the most gorgeous libraries I have ever seen—in pictures of course, and I can’t even imagine what it must be like in person. One of my greatest passions is reading, and I have a feeling the library at Trinity College Dublin might just change my life.

Soon I will be immersed in Irish culture, and I am positively delighted by this pending reality. It will be the trip of a lifetime, and I am ready to embrace it. 

Christena Carollo

<p>Hello, I&rsquo;m Christena, a 4th-year journalism student at the University of Florida, who has decided to spend a semester experiencing the wonders of Dublin, Ireland. I am passionate about traveling, food, reading, writing and experiencing new and beautiful cultures. I&rsquo;m a 21-year-old with a thirst for knowledge and adventure, and I&rsquo;m excited to share all that I find abroad! Happy readings and a jolly good day to you!</p>

University of Florida