Final Countdown

Caroline Hickey
default blog image with travel icons on a blue background

I cannot believe that it is finally happening! All of my friends have either started school or their own study abroad travels, except me. I've been patiently waiting all summer for the one day I have memorized, September 20th, to what will be the start of an amazing Senior Fall term. 

I was trying to figure out how to form this post, because I'm a photo and creative blog correspondent but I'm not yet in London to take photos or draw! So instead, this is a post that sort of explains my background, from photo classes to where I've been this summer to small doodles.

I'm very interested in architectural photos, along with portrait photography. Below are some of my favorite photos I've taken in my film photography classes.

I'm excited to explore the streets of London and its architectural designs! There are definitly some unique buildings and spaces to discover.

This is not my first Fall abroad. Last year I travelled to Morocco! It was an amazing experience, and hard to sum up, but two pictures really stood out to me that I feel inspire my future travels and photos.

I went on a trip to the Sahara and captured two really cool moments with the camels, dunes, and sky. I'm looking forward to my weekend trips around the U.K. and Europe! While I bet they will be less sandy, the trips should be exqually as fun. 

This summer I was working in D.C. The District of Columbia is a fascinating city, and also a metropolitan hub like London. While they are both capitals and share similarities because of it, they both have their own spirit. I attempted to capture the feel of D.C. and compared to what I expect to see in London or what questions I had about the British city. 

D.C. has a short skyline, there's even a law about how it has to be short! While it definitely feels urban and city like, sans skyscrapers the District gives off different vibes than New York, Chicago, or Boston. It's a unique city for that and will be a big change going to a tall city like London! 

(That's me!)

Living around D.C. means I get to see these famous and historical monuments everyday. I absolutely love it. I'm very excited to see London's famous buildings like the Shard, Big Ben, and Buckingham Palace. It'll be fun to compare the White House to 10 Downing St. 

I love love love public transportation and comparing it all around the world. My favorite is subway systems, and I used the Metro a lot this summer. The Tube looks very big and very daunting and a huge goal of mine is to conquer it! I cannot wait to get my Oyster Card and to start exploring. 

D.C. is on the Potomac River and every weekend (in the summer of course) there are people put there paddling boats, yachting, or taking tours. The river is definitely a crucial part of D.C.! I bet the River Thames will be a bit different, mainly due to weather. But honestly I don't know what to expect!

D.C. always has something going on. The first picture is from the first ever Syrian Festival that happened in downtown D.C. It was a lot of fun, free!, and we got to see a Whirling Dervish. The second photo is from this years culture festival which was circus themed. It was free to attend and we got to see some amazing trapeze acts! The last picture is my favorite pastime, baseball! I know England doesn't have baseball so I guess I'll have to get into football instead. I'm really excited to continue going to fun, educational, hopefully free, events! I know London is full of them. 

I also doodled a bit of two famous icons of the U.K. I'm really excited to actually doodle the city while in the city, but in the mean time I thought these two would be appropriate.

I hope I can see the Queen's corgis!! One can dream...

I'm excited to continue documenting my journey in London and to share with you all. Thanks for reading and get ready for actual London photos!

Caroline Hickey

<p style="margin-bottom:12.0pt">My name is Caroline and I go to school at Knox College and am from Alexandria, VA. I'm vice-president of book club, run on the track team, and and in the sorority Kappa Kappa Gamma. I self designed my major in Middle East and North African Studies with two minors in Studio Art and Anthropology/Sociology. I love to paint and take photos! One of my favorite places on Earth is the Sahara desert, and where I took one of my favorite photos, of camels!<span style="text-autospace:none"><span style="font-size:16.0pt"><span style="font-family:&quot;Times&quot;,serif"> </span></span></span></p>

Knox College
Alexandria, VA