Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. Final Thoughts Before Departure.

Brandon Berardo

I’m Brandon Berardo, a Junior Finance and Chinese double major at Wofford College. In the following post, I will try to give you a sense of my home and my life, all of the things that I am leaving behind that make me who I am. I’ve chosen to travel to Beijing in the hopes of improving my Chinese language proficiency as well as gaining a better understanding of the complex Chinese culture. As I sit here staring at my open, and still empty, suitcase, I am trying to wrap my head around this study abroad experience. Although I have spent over two months in a foreign country, four months in China will be something I cannot fully prepare myself for. I know that there will be ups and downs as there is with any international adventure, I just have to hope that the ups outweigh the downs.

As with any trip, I am trying to just pack my bags and head off with an open mind, but if packing for a four-month trip doesn’t intimidate you at least a little bit, you’re probably lying.