Five Tips and Tricks for Studying and Interning in Rome

Andy Jacobs square headshot
Andy Jacobs

Hi everyone! 

I hope you are all safe, happy, and healthy.

I have been in Rome for a little over a month now. I have had so much fun, but I’ve also learned a lot. Going abroad to a new place can be scary, but it can also be so much fun! I wanted to share with you five of the most important things I’ve learned since coming to Rome. 

1. Always bring a water bottle.

Rome can get very hot and from walking around all day, you can get very dehydrated. This is certainly not something you want to experience. So, it is super important to remember to drink water throughout the day so you have feel good and be okay to keep exploring. Plus, Rome has public drinking fountains that run non-stop which are super fun to use! 

1. Never be ashamed to ask to use the bathroom.

Rome does not have a lot of Public bathrooms, and it can be a challenge to find somewhere to go if you’re in a pinch. Sometimes places will charge you to use the bathroom, and that’s okay. Just be prepared to pay a small fee. But if you’re ever in need don’t forget to ask, “Where is the Bathroom.” “Dov’è it bagno.” 

1. Be friendly and meet people in your program. 

Some people studying or interning came abroad alone, and some people came with friends. Whatever the case, do your best to be friendly and meet people within your program. It can be so much fun to make friends and have people to explore a new country with. You can get meals together, get coffee together, go out together, work on assignments together and reminisce about home together. You can do anything together! Most people will be open to making friends and including anyone who feels left out. Plus, you might even make travel buddies or lifelong friends! 

1. Take time to unwind. 

When you’re studying in a new country it can feel like you should try to make the most out of every possible experience. It can feel like you should travel every weekend, and do something exciting each day. But this can get exhausting and make it hard for you to enjoy everything your experience has to offer. Therefore, I think it’s super important to spend some nights chilling and doing nothing or taking a weekend off from traveling in order to recoup and be excited for the next adventure. 

1. Don’t be afraid to go outside your comfort zone. 

A lot of aspects of life while studying or interning abroad will be different, but that doesn’t mean they should be feared. The best advice I can give you is to go outside your comfort zones and try new foods, try new styles of art and music, and try to converse in the language. Just try everything you can. No one will judge you for it, and you might make the best memories doing so. 

I hope I was helpful! 

Ciao for now! 

Andy =)