Reunion CORE

Alexandra Williams

Today we had reunion CORE meaning a group of IES students and myself got together and discussed our progress thus far in the program. Let me explain in detail. At the beginning of the semester IES divided us into three small groups in which we were immersed into the French language for an entire week. For about 8 hours a day we would eat, sleep, and probably daydream in French. At the end of the week we wrote our goals for the semester on a small white sheet of paper and comfortably folded it into a white envelope. Today we opened those envelopes and read our goals from the beginning of the semester.

What struck me the most is that we’ve reached the mid way point of our journey here in France. Although I wasn’t able to complete everything on my list I was proud that I did the things that were most important for me such as: ask my host-brother about his sport, be courageous with all things, be happy despite the bad times, and go to England to visit a friend. It’s interesting that what once felt like a dream is now becoming a reality, a past that I am able to reflect upon. In the upcoming weeks I hope to continue to find events in Nantes that I can regularly attend and fall more in love with the city.