Feeling the Language

Alexandra Williams

While abroad I noticed that my language skills in French have gotten better. From time to time I no longer have to think when speaking to professors at IES or my host family. I say the emotion I feel and I can finally understand my host brother. However, with the progression in one language, I feel like I’ve been set back in my native tongue. For example, at the dinner table with my host family, I find myself saying “because” in two languages at the same time or using the ever so friendly placeholder “like” between every other French word. Our grammar teacher said it’s normal for that to happen because both French is now becoming natural.

One of my life long dreams has to been to be bilingual. I was always jealous of the other kids in Boston who could easily switch from English to their parent’s native language whether it is Spanish, Chinese, or Vietnamese. There was always this mental block while I was in college. I was too afraid to speak because I assumed the person would not understand what I was saying. Even though I still feel like that at times, because I am in a situation in which I have to talk to get what I need I am more pressed to face my fear. This pressure is the push I needed to be better.