Here at IES Abroad, there are a range of programs to choose from if you're looking to study the environment and sustainability. Environmental Studies & Sustainability in Freiburg, Germany; Summer - Environmental Studies in Quito, Ecuador; Business, Sustainability & Immigration in Nice, France, to name a few. We also have some of the best places to study abroad for the environmentalist.
Our Designing the Sustainable City Course
Stemming from our Global Good Commitment, we launched the Designing the Sustainable City course ES/SO360. This course is designed to:
- Provide students the opportunity to engage in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural learning community that addresses a global issue
- Engage with award-winning faculty who are leaders and experts in their respective fields
- Develop projects that directly impact the well-being of their local host communities and which challenged them to hone their skills in team building, negotiation, data collection and analysis, and presentation in an international setting
- Experience substantive field visits and connections with local community offers real-life examples and valuable data
- Apply their learning by working in small teams to design a project that can offer solutions to the issues they have identified at the local level, taking into account the environmental, historical and social characteristics of their host city.
But don’t take it from us, hear it directly from our students. When asked “how will this course impact your future,” these were some responses:
“I’m going into government, and I will be keeping in mind that it’s not just about one group of people but all people when thinking about sustainability. And it’s not just about recycling but mobility and other factors as well.”
“This course really solidified my interest in ecological design and sustainability.”
Student Participation in Action
There are many ways that our students get involved with environmental efforts of the local communities in which they study abroad. Recently, 2023 Spring students in Freiburg got involved in the "Green City".
Freiburg is known throughout Germany and even the world as the “Green City” and recently, the IES Abroad Freiburg Center invited its students to become involved in the community as new citizens of the “Green City” by participating in a stream clean-up event with the local non-profit “Bachpaten Freiburg” (“stream sponsors”). This year, 11 students from the IES Abroad European Union program and the entire staff of the IES Freiburg Center joined with the “Bachpaten Freiburg” to clear wood from a local stream, making space for new growth and helping the natural species that live there to thrive.
“Bachpaten Freiburg” relies on the help of over 2,000 local volunteers, who are committed to looking after nearly 70 streams in Freiburg. In addition to maintaining local streams by weeding out invasive species and protecting the local habitat, “Bachpaten Freiburg” also aims to raise awareness for environmental issues and educate citizens about how they can make positive contributions to their community.