One day left before leaving for Nagoya

Xiaoxia Yin

Hello Everyone!

My name is Xiaoxia Yin. I'm pursuing Politics and Strategic Communication double major at Washington and Lee University and Lexington, VA. I'm a rising junior and going to spend my fall term in Nagoya!

I'm from Beijing, China. I've studied/interned/lived abroad in the States, the UK, and Hong Kong. The fall term in Nagoya will be the fifth time that I'm living abroad, but it's the first time I'm going to a place that the official language is neither English nor Chinese, so I'm pretty excited about it!

I emerged my idea of traveling to Japan very early, even earlier than the time I started to think about pursuing an underground degree in the States: I still remember the day when I was a third-year student in primary school. My best friend, who just traveled back from Japan, gave me a gift that “opened the new door for me.” I have never seen this kind of doll with such a white face and fabulous clothing—that was the first time I saw Japanese “ningyō.” After that, I fell in love with Japanese culture: I promised myself, a small girl at that time, that I must come to Japan at one day.

I explored my interest in Japanese culture in these years. I love Japanese art history, visual art, literature, and history. I started to learn the Japanese language when I came to the college because I believe the language is an important tool for the deep understanding of Japanese culture. Now, I’m leaving for Japan for only one day. The childhood dream is so close to me now.

Though there is not a lot of time for packing, I do have some suggestions:

1. Unless you have a specific choice on makeup/skin care product/cloth, there is no need to pack too much on these stuff because it is very easy to buy them in Nagoya

2. Bring a carry-on or backpack for the overnight field trips!

3. Personal stuff that you cannot find in Japan

4. Medicines!

The IES Abroad packing list and Student Ambassadors' suggestions are great, definitely, make use of them!

I’m so looking forward to seeing y’all in Nagoya, to explore this wonderful city and the other side of the country!!

See you tomorrow at the other side of the earth,

Xiaoxia