A Year Later

Tyler Close

It’s hard to think it’s already been an entire year since I started my journey to live and study in Rome. Looking back, it was an experience that I never fully appreciated until returning to the U.S.  Being able to walk through a city of vast art and history everyday as I walked to and from a school right in the heart of Rome wasn’t something at the time that I could fully comprehend. However, once you leave a place like that, it all seems to be put into perspective.

Now being home and looking back, some of the most valuable things that I had observed and learned from living abroad in Rome was the major emphasis that Italians spent time with friends and family. Not only how much time they spent but also how they spent it. Whether it’s relaxing at the park, having a timeless conversation at a café, or spending an entire Sunday evening with family while enjoying an amazing feast. It is these things that I notice as an American that are most valued by Italians and harder to find in our fast paced culture in the U.S.

If I had to choose one of the most valuable lessons I learned back from my experience abroad it would be that of valuing the time with those you love and believe bring out the best in you. It is so easy to get lost in our fast paced culture, whether it is with school or work, and to forget the easier things in life can actually be the best things. If you are ever planning on going abroad I hope that you keep this idea in mind as you travel and meet others different from you and learn from them. Just because America is said to be the “best,” doesn’t mean you still can’t learn from others.