Dealing with COVID While Abroad

a headshot of Taylor
Taylor Quinn

Many people told me that studying abroad in 2022 meant dealing with a "new normal.” At the time, I brushed it off as a problem to be dealt with later. Yes, I would be wearing masks almost everywhere. but I'm still going to have the picture perfect study abroad experience, right?

In reality, managing COVID abroad is real. At the current peak of the Omicron surge, traveling to other countries requires extra precaution and constantly evolving entry restrictions. Socially, it’s important to have conversations with roommates and friends about your approach to handling possible exposures. Testing in France is not free, which adds another layer of frustration. When traveling within Europe, it's important to take those hidden costs into account! That being said, it’s valid to feel nervous about the situation as a whole. Whether it be fear, exposure, or actually testing positive, many anxieties linger over the possibility of contracting COVID-19. 

Over the last month I've had my fair share of close calls. Unfortunately, one of those close calls turned into a positive test. Initially, I was heartbroken and wondered what would happen next. My first time contracting coronavirus happens to be in a foreign country...just my luck, right? Turns out, my experience was extremely easy and painless. Staying in my room for a week was difficult, as I am a very active person, but it gave me the perfect opportunity to catch up with my loved ones at home. I finally had time to reflect on my time abroad so far, and realize just how lucky I am to be living on the French Riviera. I caught a break from all responsibilities, which gave me a much needed opportunity to catch my breath after being very busy for consecutive weeks. I have an unending list of blessings to be grateful for, and isolating for a few days helped me realize that. Luckily, I was essentially asymptomatic so my quarantine was short and sweet. 

While COVID is still very real and should be regarded with caution, I wanted to share my experience to try and lessen any anxieties other students may have about contracting the virus while abroad. My experience was painless and IES Abroad offered support throughout the entire process. My roommates were extremely helpful too! There are English-speaking doctors at your disposal, and professors will work with you on class material. I hope my experience proves to be manageable and lessen any fears over traveling abroad. Before I knew it, I was out and about and enjoying Nice once again!