After

Susanna Bowers

It’s crazy that this experience is already behind me, it feels like it’s still just the beginning of summer.  So much has happened since May.  A month ago I probably would have been finishing the second meeting of the day with an NGO or other international group and getting ready to explore more of the Balkans. Two weeks ago I would have been getting out of class and going for crepes and wurst at the Munsterplatz. One week ago I was soaking up the Grecian sun, cliff jumping, snorkeling, and exploring caves. It’s the middle of the day here in Seattle and I’m sitting in my bed at home, still in my pajamas.  After non-stop action and excitement all summer, this small chance to relax is very welcome.

I decided last year that I would spend this summer either gaining money or gaining experience. Obviously I chose the latter, and while my bank account may say differently, it was most definitely the right decision. I’ve been exposed to completely new and fascinating things, learning about topics that had never even been offered to me before and visiting places I had never thought to visit. I’m so grateful to have had the opportunity to meet so many amazing people from all sorts of different backgrounds, I think that is what really made the trip great. I’m still in contact with several of them, and I hope to keep those close friendships for a long time. Next summer I want to do something just as cool, although this time it will probably have to involve making money somehow…