Salamanca Withdrawls

Sridevi Narayanan

It's been 2.5 weeks since I returned home from Salamanca. I miss constantly being forced to speak Spanish. I spoke more Spanish during my four week program than I had ever spoken in my eight years of learning. It's unreal how much you learn simply from applying it. I remember being unable to think of a word while talking to my host family. I would circle around and around until my host mother eventually picked up on what I meant. It almost felt like a game of charades. Back home when I don't know a word, I pull out my phone and quickly plug it into an app. That wasn't the case in Salamanca (because of wifi and well, I never took my phone to the table). Because of this, I was forced to think about synonyms. More than the language, I miss the people from my program. I was surrounded by twelve other students and we spent way too many hours together. From the long bus rides, to being lost together, to our late night adventures, I miss everyone. We had an incredible time together and it was a summer I won't soon forget.