The Final Module: Internship Seminar

Sergio Cueto

The internship seminar is the last module of the program. Each of us chose an internship based on our interest and major. Some of us got the chance to work together and others worked separately. My internship was at Asociación Obras del Espíritu Santo located in Barrio Cristo Rey. I worked in the school program of the organization with children ages 7-12 who were at social risk. Asociación Obras del Espíritu Santo is a non-profit organization that was founded by a priest. The organization offers many services to its community. These include free meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), free day care services, clothing for an affordable price, and the school program. In addition, the organization has an orphanage, a restaurant that is open 24/7 with affordable meals, and a small farm with rescued animals. The school program was set up as a pre and after school program. My primary duties were helping the children with class assignments and homework. In addition, I assisted with serving meals, special events, and of course playing with the children whenever they got chance to go to the park. This was my first time working with children and I must say I really enjoyed it. I will like to continue this work in Chicago. These children have had an impact in my life and I will surely miss them.

Tara with two of the children. The children doing a coloring activity. Some of the children on the playground. A group picture of the children with Tara and I. Tara and I with one of the children. Two of the girls in the school program. The children at an event hosted at the association. Two of the children and I. One of the little girl's painting.

Sergio Cueto

<div><span style="color: rgb(29, 29, 29); font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; background-color: rgb(237, 237, 237);">Hello! My name is Sergio Cueto and I was born in the city of Juarez, Chihuahua located in Mexico. I came to Chicago when I was two years old and currently reside in the Logan Square neighborhood of the city. I am an undergraduate student at the University of Illinois at Chicago, majoring in Latin American and Latino Studies with a minor in Sociology. I am also a volunteer for the Chicago Latino Film Festival. I love photography, films, reading, writing, video games, and spending time with friends and family.</span></div>

University of Illinois at Chicago
Latin American Studies