Hiking Lion's Head Mountain

Sarah Campbell

One of the first things we did as a group on our free day out was head over to Lion's Head Mountain to go hiking. Despite the fact that everyone said this was the easiest mountain to climb, our understanding of the word "easy" soon changed. Our group of mostly out-of-shape Americans got passed by literally every child, dog, and elderly person in Cape Town before we reached the top. I'm a fairly active person but this hike changed my idea of a "casual" weekend hike. That's something that I would never be able to do back home partially because we don't have mountains but also because I wouldn't have this amazing group of people to do hiking with. Hiking was something foreign and very out of my comfort zone because I’ve never been super outdoorsy before in my life. I think having such an excited group of people made the trip so much more fun because we all were struggling together. Except for Tully. Tully was basically a mountain goat and leapt up the mountain in one hop. All I can say is that I’ve learned that if you really want to get to know someone, go hiking with them. It brings out the good, the bad and the ugly in everyone.