Bucket List Amsterdam Edition

Rudrayani Upadhyay
  1. Biking around the city – I personally am not a huge fan of biking, but even I can see what the hype is about when it comes to Amsterdam and its biking culture. In a city that has more bikes than it has people, it is a must to experience this at least once or twice, if not more. You feel a different kind of joy when you’re moving along the streets of Amsterdam on wheels and you are surrounded by hundreds of others on their own. The traffic is very friendly for bikers and if you’re a bit slow, the people behind you will be very understanding about it.

2. Exploring new cafes and cuisines – Travelling around Europe for the past 4 months, I settled on Amsterdam food to have satisfied my palette the most. No matter what café or restaurant I’ve been to or what cuisine I tried, the food and drinks were delicious every single time. The chai tea latte at Café Stevens, the chorizo burrito at Bakers and Roasters, the steak at Café Loetje, I could go on and on.

3. Famous museums – While I wish I had managed to cover more museums and tourist sites during my stay in Amsterdam, the ones that I visited did not disappoint. The way that the Dutch people have managed to maintain their historical objects, their culture is applaudable. To list a few, the Anne Frank House, Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh museum, Heineken experience, etc are a must.

4. Public transportation – If you come to Amsterdam in the future or are currently in Amsterdam, make 100% use of their public transportation system, because it is the absolute best. It is convenient, well-maintained and so easily available everywhere and to all. Being a good 30 or so minutes away from my university, I was worried about the commute from my housing to classes, but the trains and trams made it so much easier and just a stress-free experience overall.

5. Walking by the canals – Walking by the canals is a great way to absorb the beauty of Amsterdam and see the liveliness filled in all streets and corners. It’s also the best way to discover new cafes and restaurants since the streets on either sides of the canals are filled with them. You will come across beautiful, picturesque spots that you see in postcards of Amsterdam and ask a random person to take a picture of you and your friends and they will be more than happy to.

6. Boat tour – The boat tours in the canals of Amsterdam are an absolute must. There are different types of rides you can get into, some are closed boat tours, some are open and serve drinks, but whichever one you choose to get on, the breathtaking view is what you really want to focus on. The boat will take you out of the narrow canals and into the open water where you can get a full 360 degree view of the city around you.

These are just some of the many ways in which you can make your time in Amsterdam a memorable one and I promise you they will be a million percent worth it.