Mother Mary

Natalie Reynoso

I have always dreamed of going to Ireland, and so I knew that if there was one place I would visit while in Europe that would be it. I went to Dublin, Ireland for the second leg of my journey during spring break, and I cannot tell you enough how surreal my being there was.  I visited Trinity College, the Guinness Storehouse, Wicklow National Park, and St. Patrick’s Cathedral. But the most memorable experience I had while I was there took place during my day trip to Knock, Ireland, where the Virgin Mary appeared in 1879 alongside Joseph and John the Apostle. During this apparition a lamb, signifying Christ, appeared on an altar over the gable in the then village chapel. A bright light surrounded all of them. As far as we know, there were fifteen witnesses to this apparition and their testimonies have been preserved.

I have developed a big devotion to the Virgin Mary over the last several years. Mary is not only my spiritual mother whose wisdom keeps me grounded, but she is also a woman of unhesitating faith who teaches me to love Christ with complete abandon. And thus, going to one of the many places where she has appeared was an amazing experience filled with much awe, grace, and peace. On the day of my visit, I was not a tourist, I was a pilgrim. It was impossible to not feel Mary’s presence everywhere. It was also quite an honor to be at a place where Mother Teresa and Blessed Pope John Paul II (soon to be saint) once visited. They too came to honor Mary and to pray for her intercession.  I don’t know how it was possible, but while at the apparition site time managed to pass by incredibly quickly all while standing perfectly still.  The day went incredibly fast, but to be honest I could’ve been there for hours on end. I am already longing for the moments of peace that I experienced that day, which reminded me that God’s hand is never too far away.