Another Room to Call “Home”

Natalie Lau

Well, here’s my room, guys!

A full size bed? Yeah, I think I can live with that!

I moved into today with the help of one of my grand uncles. He was so kind as to pick me up and bring me all the way to my home stay. I’m so blessed to have such wonderful family members looking out for me here. I can’t express how grateful I am to be in a foreign country but not really have to worry about a thing because everyone is just a phone call away. I texted the grand uncle that dropped me off once I got settled in my room and he replied telling me to turn on the heater and to not get sick. It may not seem much in writing, but the gesture was so heartfelt – it just made me smile ☺

Once I got here, I unpacked all my belongings and before I knew, it was already dinner! My first meal was great – we ate shrimp, a heart-shaped tofu “thing,” veggies, and a tomato and egg soup. I was so full afterwards!

So you’re probably wondering, who are the people that I’m staying with? I call them Uncle and Aunty. They’re an older couple who have lived in Shanghai their entire lives. Aunty stays at home while uncle works (I’m not sure what he does; we haven’t gotten to that part of the conversation). I’ve only been here for a couple hours and I know that this is going to be a great semester with them. I will also become very fat because Aunty is an amazing cook (Wonderful, just my luck…….)

Here’s my desk too. It’s a bit smaller than I’m used to, but it’ll have to do.

And finally, here’s the view from my room.

Yes, there’s a metal cage around my window so it looks like I’m in a Chinese prison, but I’m sure during the daytime, it’s a beautiful sight.

I can’t wait for this semester to begin tomorrow. Bring it on!