Berlin Bound

Micah Castle

If I were to leave Germany now, I would feel much better about my experience than had you asked me a week ago. Why? Because I can finally say I’ve been to Berlin! I was struggling with the idea that I may not visit not just the capital of Germany but also one of the most historically known cities in all of Europe. And what an awesome city it is! Don’t get my wrong, I’m so much happier I’m studying in Freiburg because I can see now that I’ve saved myself from getting lost a countless number of times. Berlin is massive! I had no idea it was so enormous! Even though I feel accomplished in my trip to Berlin, there must be an infinite amount of sights, museums, and buildings I didn’t see.

I went with my two friends Jackie and Curtis. It was a spur of the moment trip, and we had to take an 11 hour bus ride to and from Berlin, but it was all worth it. I got to see the Berlin Wall, the East Wall Mural, Checkpoint Charlie, the Brandenburg Gate, Holocaust Memorial for the Jews, the Dalí Museum, the Television Tower, and all the wonderfully busy shopping streets. It was a lot of walking, and I’ve got some award winning blisters to prove it. Of course, I saw the Ampelmann, too. You can bet I got a mug with him on it.

We had so much fun walking around and eating döner (wow it’s so much better in Berlin). Friday evening, we went on a Berlin Pub Tour, and our host was an awesome British man who went by the name of Hollywood. I can only wonder what the background to that name is! In total, there were probably 50 people on the tour, so we got to meet some other Americans, Frenchies and Spaniards. Definitely a memorable evening.

I think I would go back to Berlin for the sole purpose of eating more döner and falafel. It was heavenly. Honestly, I don’t know if I’ll be able to eat it here in Freiburg again.

Highlight of the trip: being able to take so many photos of the East Side Mural. Enjoy the photos!

Micah Castle

<p><span style="color: rgb(29, 29, 29); font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; background-color: rgb(237, 237, 237);">My name is Micah Castle, and I am from Decatur, Georgia. I study Spanish and German at Emory University in Atlanta, and I hope to become a foreign language teacher after I graduate. The two things I love most are working with kids and traveling. I am currently studying Spanish in Salamanca, Spain, and I&#39;m looking forward to being abroad next semester as well, working on my German in Freiburg, Germany.</span></p>

Emory University