We’ll Always Have Paris

Kristina Azevedo

People aren’t exaggerating when they say Paris is the most romantic city in the world.  On my final trip outside of Italy during my semester abroad I had the privilege to visit the “City of Light.”  There are no words to describe just how incredible Paris truly is, and when I left I felt like I had only seen a fraction of what Paris had to offer.

After arriving in Paris, early in the morning, the first place we went to was the Eiffel Tower.  I have seen the Eiffel Tower in pictures my whole life but I was still left speechless by its beauty.  It’s amazing to think that it was only supposed to be a temporary structure and many people fought to have it taken down.

After spending lots of time at the Eiffel Tower and taking many pictures, we headed off to see the Arc de Triomphe, where we climbed to the top to get a beautiful 360 degree view of Paris.  I was again struck by the beauty of the city and just how lucky I was to be there.  Then we walked down Champs-Élysées, one of the most exclusive shopping districts in the world.  I couldn’t afford most of the items in the stores there, but a girl can dream.

The next day we went to the Louvre museum.  We had no idea just how large the museum was.  You could spend weeks in the museum and still not see everything.  It was overwhelming how many priceless objects I saw in just a few hours.  One of my dreams was to see the Mona Lisa by Leonardo Da Vinci in person, so I pushed past the crowd to get a good look at the painting.  It is truly an indescribable feeling when you stand in close proximity to a piece of art of that caliber.  

On our final day in Paris, we went to the Notre Dame, the most beautiful gothic cathedral I have ever seen in my life.  No picture can capture the beauty of the intricate stained-glass windows and the tall arches that make this cathedral so special.  After we left the Notre Dame, we boarded a train to Versailles.  I have always wanted to see the hall of mirrors in the Palace of Versailles, so this trip was very special to me.  I was struck by how ornate the palace is.  It is truly the epitome of royal wealth and status.  After leaving the palace, we walked through the endless gardens and rented bikes.  It was a picture-perfect day and it was amazing to ride bikes through such truly beautiful scenery.

That night for dinner, we ate crepes in front of the Eiffel Tower, which was probably one of the greatest moments of the trip.  No picture can capture the beauty of the Eiffel Tower at night.  It was an emotional experience in some ways because I felt so truly lucky to be there.

Then we boarded a boat to take a tour of the Seine.  It was cold and windy but Paris at night is truly spectacular.  It is a city so full of culture and history.  I now understand why so many artists, musicians, and writers have flocked to Paris throughout history.  It was a city and a trip that I will never forget.

So, to conclude, even though I was not in Paris with a significant other, I am required to use the most famous line from my favorite movie, Casablanca.  “We’ll always have Paris.”