Orientation in Mariazell

Katherine (Nina) Jones

When we all landed in Vienna, we got on buses and drove about three hours to a town called Mariazell. In Mariazell, we had a few information sessions, intro to German for us beginners, and a few fun activities.

On Friday, we went into the town center and did a tour of a medicinal schnapps factory and of the beautiful Mariazell Basilica. We awkwardly watched a funeral for a sec outside the church, but other than that it was really cool. The town was very pretty and there was a great view of the mountains all around us.

Inside the schnapps factory.

Outside Mariazell Basilica.

The next day we went for a walk around a lake a few minutes outside the town.

Beautiful view of the lake.

On our last night in Mariazell, we were treated to a “traditional Austrian night.” This turned out to be quite interesting. There were a number of men dancing and one named Hans who played the accordion for the dancers. They did a few different things, including dancing and chopping wood. They also took people from the audience to dance at one point, and selected a couple to sweep up the wood they had chopped, which was funny.

Traditional Austrian night. This is not a great picture, but this is the men dancing with a girl from the program.

On Sunday, we left Mariazell and finally made our way to Vienna, where the adventure continues!