I've Never Had a Better Day in Paris

Julia Chodyla
Louvre

Louvre

Earlier this month, I was able to have a full free day in Paris with my best friends. I have been to Paris a few times, but I don’t think I have ever had a day there as successful and eventful as this one. It was the perfect balance between hitting the Parisian landmarks and also finding unique ways to fall in love with the city. 

My friends and I met that morning outside of the Louvre, but because we had a full day ahead of us, we knew we wouldn’t have enough time to go inside and fully enjoy it. However, I have explored the museum’s interior in the past, and it is definitely worth it.  

A Day in Paris

We then walked towards Tuileries Garden where we ran into a puppy play date! This encounter was exactly what I expected a dog gathering to look like in Paris- somehow, even the dogs looked Parisian! I can honestly say that I have never been in such a beautiful “dog park.”

A Day in Paris

While caught in a turbulent wind storm, we ran into an open building to avoid further dust and dirt getting into our eyes. When we looked around to see where exactly we had entered, it felt like we were transported into a different world. We were in 59 Rivoli, which is known as the “Art Squat of Paris.” 59 Rivoli is a collection of art studios for 30 different artists, but quite frankly it is much more than that. It is a celebration of art- the walls and floors are completely decorated and each separate art studio feels like a new exhibit. This is one of the studios. 

A Day in Paris

A Day in Paris

A Day in Paris

A Day in Paris

After 59 Rivoli, we stumbled upon the perfect activity for Paris Fashion Week 2020. The Musée des Arts Décoratifs is currently hosting an exhibit about Harper’s Bazar, which is an American women’s fashion magazine that was first published in 1867. I am not even someone who considers herself to have a passion for fashion, but after experiencing this museum, I felt like I was ready to join the fashion industry. While the chances of me becoming a fashion designer are quite slim, I still can’t get over the thousands of magazine covers and top-designer dresses that I saw with my own eyes. 

A Day in Paris

A Day in Paris

A Day in Paris

A Day in Paris

The Bourdelle Museum was a perfectly sized museum for our busy day, and the gorgeous sculpture garden brought me so much peace. It was a perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. 

A Day in Paris

Of course we could never miss the Eiffel Tower. And we just so happened to run into two more of my friends! We bought a baguette from a nearby bakery and strolled with this beautiful view.

A Day in Paris

I was so lucky that one of my best friends that I was with is extremely passionate about fashion. In light of Fashion Week, she saw that one of her favorite brands, House of Sunny, was having an exclusive display of its August collection. We were able to enter by the stroke of luck, and I was amazed by each separate piece. All statement pieces! 

A Day in Paris

You can’t forget about Sacré-Cœur in Montmartre. In my opinion, there’s no better place in Paris for a picnic!

Lastly, we finished off the day at the Chinese restaurant Trois Fois Plus de Piment, which is quite literally translated as “three times more the spice.” This restaurant has authentic food from the Chinese region of Sichuan and is known for its insanely spicy combinations of spices and chili. It was hilarious to see my friends try to cope with the level 5 spice. I adore spicy food, and I stuck with a level 2, which was just right for me. 

A Day in Paris

Julia Chodyla

<p>My name is Julia Chodyla, and I am a junior at The George Washington University majoring in International Affairs and Dance and minoring in Economics. I am happiest and feel most like "Julia" when I am dancing, traveling, exploring the outdoors, laughing and trying new things.</p>

Tallahassee, FL
Dance
International Affairs