First Impressions?

Houda El Joundi

Friends. Reporting back to you on the masterpiece of a city that is London has been quite a challenge. You see, when you walk to class through KingsCross -The kings cross, Big up to all my HP fans- everyday; grab some lunch in Soho; hit a couple of shows on the weekend, and maybe take a study break at the British museum. Well, you tend to get distracted.

Distraction in London is somewhat of a bittersweet reality that you learn to accept. It is bitter because it meddles with the intimate relationship you used to have with your planner. No more of that.  You can be ambitions and spend a tenner on a nice Ryman planner (Check out my British references!), and you can even sit down and plan your week out, with all the naivety and enthusiasm of any city fresher, but take my unsullied-recently-acquired English word on this friend, converting to the Gods of Spontaneity and Adventure is your only way to salvation.

In Short, (Sorry folks, gotta run!) if you ever find yourself in times of spiritual unrest and confusion, and happen to be in London, make sure to keep an open mind and a young soul.

I will leave you with some interesting facts about London.

Voltaire, Edgar Allen Poe, Ho Chi Minh, Mahatma Gandhi, Vincent Van Gogh, Sigmund Freud, and Hiter’s older half-brother all lived in London for a time.

Among the many things Londoners have left on the Tube are a samurai sword, a  stuffed puffer fish, a human skull, and a coffin (and lots and lots of beer cans).

Harrods sold cocaine until 1916 (crazy given the fact that what you can  currently purchase at Harrods is just as expensive but radically different in    nature).

Manette Street in Soho is named after the character from Dickens’ A Tale of Two Cities. Dickens describes the street having a golden arm — the one above Goldbeaters’ House was built in modern times to match his description (People who take literature seriously).

Anyways, hit me up when you get here, I’m heading to the Scandinavian Christmas Market soon if you want to tag along!

Happy Holidays!