Departure

Grace Haynes

Today I began my journey to Rome! The date of my departure snuck up on me, as I scrambled to stuff my belongings into a suitcase late last night. Passport: check. Carry-on: check. I crossed each item off my list and completed the daunting task of packing. Ahead lies nothing but excitement. I flew from Montgomery to Charlotte this morning, where I wait for my final connecting flight. One step closer to Rome!

Excitement overpowers my nerves as I imagine what my summer abroad has in store for me. I honestly do not think that I can fathom the experiences I will encounter in the coming seven weeks. I have seen images of Rome on either television or in movies, but that is completely different than observing the actual landmarks in real life. I am anxious to arrive and see the beautiful city firsthand.

Perhaps I should include some background information about myself. I am a rising Junior at Washington and Lee University, where I am majoring in English and minoring in Creative Writing. I am also interested in pursuing a career in secondary education. Writing a novel would not be so bad either! This sets up my internship for the summer. I will hopefully be interning at La Maisonnette kindergarten for the summer. My main concern is the language barrier, but I am optimistic that everything will work out.

I am eager to expand my horizons through my study abroad and to grow as a person through the experiences I will encounter. A smile spreads across my face as I daydream about the endless possibilities of my explorations in Rome. I am looking forward to meeting my roommates and the other students on the trip. Together we will tackle the Eternal City. Follow me throughout my adventurous summer in Rome!