Your Paris Bucket List

Headshot of Elowen Conley
Elowen Conley

Paris is an incredible city and is full of everything you can possibly imagine! As a student abroad, sometimes it felt like there was too much to do. I know, how could it be possible??? But it was. Paris is a mix of many different cultures and in every arrondissement you’ll find hidden treasures. It’s simply impossible to explore it all! So, now that I’m home- I’ve put together a guide for the Top 10 things you absolutely MUST do in Paris!

1. La Tour Eiffel. This seems basic, and it is! Sorry. But the Tour Eiffel is an essential landmark of Paris. I’m not going to tell you to go up in it- you can see an even better view from Sacre Coeur in Montmartre. Instead, take your friends and have a picnic on the green at night. At 11pm on the hour, it will twinkle! It’s a great way to bond with friends and relax with a great view.
  2. The Louvre. Yes, another basic Paris thing. You absolutely must go to the Louvre, and I absolutely encourage you to try it by yourself! You’ll be able to spend as much time as you want there and take snack breaks whenever you want.
  3. Try that boulangerie. Yes, wherever you are, there is probably 5 boulangeries in walking distance. They are everywhere! At my homestay, I made it a mission to find the best boulangerie within walking distance and it led to an amazing culinary adventure! Pick one each day and compare.
  4. Le Jardin de Luxembourg. Bring a takeout dinner (or grab a baguette and some cheese) and take a walk. You’re in for a beautiful evening.
  5. Take a macaron class. At IES Abroad, one of our outings was to a macaronier, where we learned how to make macarons! It was incredible. Make sure you get ahold of that recipe. They’re nothing like store bought or even American macarons.
  6. Opera Bastille. See a show at the Opera Bastille! My friend and I saw Romeo and Juliet. There’s nothing like a world-class opera with an amazing cast. And yes, there were English subtitles.
  7. Le Marais. Head to the Marais for Japanese or Korean food! You might not think it, but the Asian food in the area is amazing. While the place is becoming a bit more touristy, it’s still a great place to grab a bite to eat with a friend.
  8. Bouillon Chartier (the one in Montparnasse). If you’ve never tried escargots before- this is the place! It works with a tight budget and provides quality food that true Parisians love.
  9. Bateau Mouche at night. While it’s really only for tourists, the bateau mouches are the best way to see Paris. Especially at night! Go after 10 p.m. so you can see the Eiffel Tower glowing.
  10. Des Frères Blavette. This might be a little biased, but this boulangerie has THE best strawberry tarts in existence. Yes, I taste tested and this one won.

Have fun exploring Paris!

Signing off,

Elowen