My Trip to Switzerland!

Dominic Sari headshot
Dominic Sari

When I was sixteen my grandparents surprised me with a trip to Italy. A way to embrace my heritage and explore a new country at the same time. This trip was so eye opening and it was another reason that I solidified my goal to study abroad. However, my travel plans changed forever as my return flight connected in Zurich. For an incredible ten minutes I stared out my window to see the Swiss Alps, these snow covered peaks were gorgeous and took my breath away even though I was looking out of a plane window. Once I saw the alps I knew that Switzerland was forever going to be at the top of my list to visit.

Last weekend was finally my time to conquer my bucket list. I checked into my Iberia flight and packed my winter coat ready for a trip that was about to change my life. I planned the entire trip itinerary for my group, and we definitely were frugal yet treated ourselves a couple of times. The itinerary is below if anyone would like Switzerland recs!

FRIDAY

6:00 a.m. Wake up

6:40 a.m. Depart to Airport

7:00 a.m. Arrival to airport

8:45 a.m. Depart Madrid

11:10 a.m. Land in Zurich

11:40 a.m. Drop off bags at hostel

12 p.m. Grocery store 

1 p.m. Lindt Chocolate tour 

2 p.m. depart to hostel

2:30 p.m. depart to Swiss Chuchi

3 p.m. Swiss Chuchi pre Mountain Fondue 

4 p.m. prepare to leave for Uteilberg

4:30 p.m. depart for Uteilberg

5:50 p.m. sunset on top on Uteilberg, super cool view of Zurich take some flicks

Depart Uteilberg

7:00 p.m. Grocery Store for dinner or kebab place for good cheap food

SATURDAY

6:45 a.m. Wake Up

7:15 a.m. depart hostel

8 a.m. Begin 12 hour day trip

Grindelwald

Mount First

Interlaken 

8 p.m. Return to Zurich

9 p.m. eat dinner and explore more of Zurich

SUNDAY

5 a.m. Wakeup

5:15 a.m. depart to airport 

5:45 a.m. arrival to airport

7:30 a.m. depart to Madrid

9:55 a.m. Land in madrid

Metro home be back around 11

Notes Post Trip

• Do NOT go to Hiltle, a vegetarian place in Zurich, unless you want to spend 45 dollars on a singular plate of food.
  • Many websites recommend getting a Zurich pass for the train station, however they did not check our tickets and it was a waste of 32 dollars
  • Do buy a train ticket for Grindelwald to Interlaken they check
  • Do go to Swiss Chuchi for excellent traditional fondue
  • Make sure to dress appropriately, it was far warmer than we expected so we took our jackets off on the mountain.
  • Do take advantage of the tap water and skip bottled water
  • Do go to Mount First
  • GO TO LINDT FOR FREE CHOCOLATE FOUNTAINS
  • Stay at Menninger Green city hotel it was super clean and affordable for Switzerland
  • Do bring airpods when on the mountain to relax and vibe

The Mountain

When we traveled through Switzerland on our guided bus tour all I could see was the alps in the background. I was freaking out internally because I was finally going to stand on the Swiss Alps. We arrived at Grindelwald and that is when reality set in. I exited our bus and looked all around to see a town surrounded by mountains taller than I could ever imagine with their peaks covered in snow. I was here. I did it. That was all I could think of. I was just so happy to be here and I had not even gone up to Mount First yet. On the Gondola ride we quite literally rose through the clouds watching as the mountains became closer and closer. The sky and background looked fake, the mountains were so beautiful. Finally we hopped off the gondola and went to First Walk (a metal bridge that takes you out to the very edge of the top of the mountain), and once we got to the end it felt truly freeing. Looking below you see Grindelwald and snow covered log cabins. Looking at the landscape all you see are mountains and clouds painting the sky making for an unreal experience. Being on the alps felt so freeing and was everything I had hoped for since I was sixteen. I have decided that when I retire I will be moving to Grindelwald and spend my days traveling around Europe and to different mountains in Switzerland.

All In All

Do not skip Switzerland. It was an epic experience that I will always remember. I am already counting down the days until I can go back and I feel that it was a life changing and eye opening experience for me.