All You Need Is Love

Caroline Hickey

To preface this post, I just want to say that I am going to post about London soon! I have two really good blog post ideas and I'm just collecting photos for them over the course of a while now.... But I promise that I will write/post photos about the lovely city I currently reside in!

This post is about two weekend trips that I did in the past month. The first one was to Oxford to visit my friends on the IES Abroad Oxford program. I went after they had been there for more than a week, so they were able to show me around! I could not believe how old Oxford is. I love history and old things, and in America it's hard to find super old stuff. I'm lucky to be from the East Coast and to have been able to see Revolutionary War (which here in the U.K. they call the American Independence War fun fact) era stuff, but everything in England seems to make all that stuff look so new! They think Oxford was founded sometime around 1096, but most of the stuff I saw was newer than that. I was also really excited to see the pub where J. R. R. Tolkien and C. S. Lewis, and I also got to see where C. S. Lewis got his inspiration for the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe!

On top of all that, my friends and I went punting on the canal that runs through Oxford. Punting is really hard, don’t let it fool you. It's a really fun activity, and I hope to do it when I go visit Cambridge! Apparently it is the thing to do at old English colleges!

My trip to Liverpool was this past weekend on one of the IES Abroad field trips. I love love love Liverpool. Right when we got there we started our walking tour, and I could tell that Liverpool was an incredible city. Just like Oxford, Liverpool has a long history. It was one of the most popular port towns in the world during its heyday. It has one of the oldest Chinatowns in the world, and the second largest Chinese arch outside of China (I have two photos of it in the gallery)! Liverpool is also, obviously, home to The Beatles and a thriving music industry. I grew up on The Beatles so it was really awesome seeing where they came from. We got to go to The Beatles museum and see all the memorabilia! After our tour and trip to the museum, we had some free time. I got some pancakes and bacon then ventured over to the free Maritime Museum, then walked 30 minutes to the Liverpool Cathedral. The cathedral is the largest in the U.K. and fifth largest in the world! Apparently everything is bigger in Liverpool. The inside was so pretty, and you were allowed to walk around almost anywhere which was cool.

I am very grateful that London has easy access to all these places. Everything is just a short bus or train ride away!

(My photos won't all load in gallery style so below are the rest of them!)

Liverpool Photos:

Caroline Hickey

<p style="margin-bottom:12.0pt">My name is Caroline and I go to school at Knox College and am from Alexandria, VA. I'm vice-president of book club, run on the track team, and and in the sorority Kappa Kappa Gamma. I self designed my major in Middle East and North African Studies with two minors in Studio Art and Anthropology/Sociology. I love to paint and take photos! One of my favorite places on Earth is the Sahara desert, and where I took one of my favorite photos, of camels!<span style="text-autospace:none"><span style="font-size:16.0pt"><span style="font-family:&quot;Times&quot;,serif"> </span></span></span></p>

Knox College
Alexandria, VA