Goats, Wine, and Other Gastronomic Adventures in Bordeaux

Brittany Chen
Smiling girl standing in front of a row of goats eating grasses

As part of my French Cooking and Gastronomy class this semester, we went on a field trip to Verrines, La Rochelle, Bordeaux, and Cognac. In Verrines, we visited a chèvrerie, or a goat farm, and we got to see the goats and observe the process of making goat cheese. After visiting the chèvrerie, we made a stop in port city La Rochelle to explore and have lunch. Then, we made our way to Bordeaux and learned about (and tasted!) the specialties of Bordeaux like canelés and wine. We visited La Cité du Vin, an immersive museum about wine. Finally, before heading back to Nantes, we visited Cognac and learned about the process of making cognac at Château de Cognac (Maison de Cognac Otard). Follow along below for some photos of this exciting adventure!